Yep, we're moving online too. How to do it??

At first my title said, "How to do it." with a period, as if I know how to move courses online with about three days notice. I changed it to two question marks to show just how unclear this terrain is for me and for many of my colleagues. It's a challenge. I love a challenge. And I love to get inspired for a challenge. My inspiration this week is Ginger from Chicken Run. Remember her? She had an awesome challenge in front of her and (I won't give it away...take some time this week to watch this movie. You won't be sorry!)

I am thinking about a lot of things as I consider how to transition to online. One of the things I know about online teaching is that it requires a lot more engagement and communication than one might do in a face-to-face (F2F class). And I have an introductory psychology class with 130 students enrolled. Hmmm. Aren't most online classes typically 12-20 students? And I have two capstone classes that are each 25 students. So I've got 180 students to work with. I'm going to do my best.

As I was writing this, my parents called and asked if there were any specific instructions for those in Santa Cruz County. And yes, there is. Shelter in place until April 7.

The other thing I want to write about in this series of posts is how it's going to work with kids at home. Their schools closed and I'm going to be teaching online with 3 days notice. Yes, we can do this! I've got to go make dinner for the kids.

Comments

Popular Posts